China Time

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

I can't believe it's taken this long for me to write a few lines! We've been busy, of course. Shuya is adjusting very well - and so are we! She is a wonderful child. Sometimes she's a little crabby - like tonight when I took her for a walk in the stroller and she decided that she wasn't comfortable and just started making a loud fuss! I was hoping that she wasn't attracting too much attention. We stopped at the swing set - she loves the swing!

We took mama and baba to the Garden of the Gods yesterday. They loved it (see the photo!). Today we went to the art show in Denver on the 16th Street mall at the Pavilions. It was ok. Not as good as the Cherry Creek Arts Festival but there were some very nice art there. It runs tomorrow from 11AM to 4PM. Last weekend we brought mama and baba to the Flatirons at Chatauqua Park. It was a beautiful day and mama took a lot of pictures of the incredibly beautiful flowers.

We have introduced them to Wahoo's, Chipotle, and Pho Duy Vietnamese Noodles in Broomfield. They didn't like the first two but they did like the noodle soup!

I installed an IPTV system so that mama and baba can watch Chinese TV and movies on our TV though our internet connection. I was surprised at how well it works! It's great. We have DSL and our connection seems to slow down or stop for no apparent reason but the IPTV works without any glitches. They can choose from a lot of channels, including channels that they usually watch in China, as well as some that were not available to them in China. It's only hooked to the TV in the loft upstairs but that seems to be the best place for it.

Shuya is still adorable. It's hard to spend a lot of time playing with her and still do the things we need to do - like work. I had to go right back to work as soon as I got back home. I had to go into work to write reports for customers and ship equipment to a tradeshow. Talk about waiting to the last minute! Then I had to go to Las Vegas the next week for 4 days for the trade show. It is always stressful setting up the booth and making the equipment run as it should. No different this time, although most things went pretty smoothly, it's always a time-crunch. I had some fun in the evenings and won about $2o (net) playing $10 hands of Pai Gow. I never played it before and it's pretty slow - just my speed! I must have had beginner's luck. I wasn't ready to play an faster games. I had Friday off so I get to spend 4 days with her! So far it's been a lot of fun!

Wenguo has gotten Shuya into a routine and that seems to be helping a lot. Nap time in the morning and after lunch, in bed on time and up in the morning with us. She complains a little (loudly) for a while when we try to put her down for a nap sometimes but it doesn't last very long any more. The first week we had some issues with her crying for a long time when we tried to get her to go to bed.

Shuya and Little Bear are getting along well. They are just starting to get close to each other and Shuya occasionally pets Little Bear or throws one of her toys for her (it usually travels about 1 foot!). I think they are going to be fine but we are still watching them. Little Bear has proven to be very tolerant so far! I'm very proud of her. She is such a sweet dog.

I can't keep up with the photos - I know I need to post some and I promise to try to find some time tomorrow. I found a HP Photo printer/scanner/copier at Target that was marked down from $100 to $25. They still have some left at the store on 144th at I-25 (Westminster SuperTarget, 14451 Orchard Pkwy, Westminster, CO 80020 (303) 209-0163). The installer was the worst I've ever encountered. Of course they loaded up my computer with a lot of their software.

I'll try to post more often with more focus on our life with Shuya, and more pictures soon!

-posted by Dan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're anxiously awaiting more pictures :) Hope to see you all soon. Sounds like things are running smoothly and your parents look so happy with their precious little granddaughter! And, of course, she looks happy and beautiful in every single picture.

Anonymous said...

We're happy to see this post and hear about how things are going. Thanks for sharing it with us. We look forward to seeing you before too long. Shuya is beautiful and it sounds like her adjustment is going very well. Can't wait to see more pictures!!