China Time

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Gotcha Day!

We got her!

Wenguo held her first - she started to cry - it was wonderful!

She has 2 bumps and bruises on her forehead and scratches on her cheek - I thought "What have they done to my daughter!?" I was angry! They said she just started walking and fell. She also has a cold and is taking cold medicine and antibiotics. but She's beautiful!

Our friends Yongmei and Able came along and took pictures. That was so nice of them. We are lucky they were able to come with us. Our guide, Joanna, let them come with us.

She cried a lot even before the nanny gave her to Wenguo. In Wenguo's arms she screamed for a while and would not be consoled with toys or anything. The room was loud and chaotic with lots of kids crying so Wenguo took her out into the quiet hallway and she got her to calm down. We had her out there for a while and got a bunch of pictures and video. Of course, just as I predicted, everytime I tried to get near her, touch her, or try to pick her up she wouldn't have any of it.

Then we had to go after just a short time - less than an hour I think. Of course nobody was paying much attention to time. I told Wenguo she should use the facilities before we got on the long bus ride back. We had seen the traffic backed up at the bridge going the other way so I was afraid it might take hours to get back. I told her to let me hold Shuya and, although she thought that was a crazy idea, she relented and let me hold her. She screamed for a couple of minutes and then just relaxed in my arms! I thought it was a miracle. I was so happy - you should have seen my smile!

Then we got on the bus and Wenguo held her for a while and eventually I asked for a turn, and she sat on my lap for most of the bus ride home - as content as could be while a couple of the other kids cried (all the way home). Wenguo and I fed Shuya cheerios and goldfish and let her drink yogurt from through a straw - she wouldn't drink from a sippy cup. She looked out the window a lot, just taking in the scenery as we drove through Wuhan, watching some of the cities' 8 million people.

She's in the crib - we thought she might nap but she won't. She just got up by herself in the crib!

She's sitting up playing with a toy.

I'm going to try to get pictures up as soon as possible.

Click here to view today's pictures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! She is so beautiful, or as Claire says "she's so cute!" Finally, the long anticipation has disappeared. If there is anything certain in this life, time does march on and tomorrow comes. We hope that your time in China will remain joyful and peaceful and fun. You did it! Celebrate her.
Now we really can't wait to hold her and welcome her home - hurry!
Julie, David and Claire

Anonymous said...

Thank-you guys! We love her so much already. She is so beautiful!

We'll post more pictures soon. We literally took 200 pictures today...

Dan and Wenguo

Anonymous said...

Guess you must be enjoying playing with your baby now in the hotel room. How Yongmei and I wish to see her big smile soon! So you guys must keep working hard.

All the best,

Abel

Anonymous said...

Yongmei and Able,

I hope you know how much your presence here is appreciated. You have given us so much we really do want you to be our Chinese godparents!

Thank-you a million times.

Dan and Wenguo

Nathan Bamford said...

Dan And Wenguo,
Congratulations! Your daughter is beautiful.
Diana and Ava and I are so happy for you. We can't wait to meet her in person.

Nathan

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a precious cutie she is. And you guys make this all look so easy! You're such wonderful parents already. Thanks for posting pictures right away and we couldn't stand waiting another minute to see her. I look forward to looking at all 200 pictures of her on this very special day.