China Time

Monday, April 23, 2007

Shaoxing

We made it!

After a 2 our flight to San Francisco, a 2 hour layover there, a 13 hour flight to Shanghai, and a 3 hour ride in a van, we arrived at Mama and Baba's house in Shaoxing at about 9:30 PM.

Jiejie and Jeifu picked us up at the airport and drove us to Shaoxing. I didn't sleep much on the plane - maybe 1 hour during the James Bond movie (I had already seen it). I slept about 1 hour in the van ride. Wenguo and her sister and brother-in-law spoke Chinese in the van so I just passed out. When I did wake up about a half hour before we arrived in Shaoxing, the ride in the van was intense. I don't understand the rules of the road here and would not be able to drive.

Mama had some food ready and we ate a late dinner and I drank some brown rice wine (sleeping pill) at dinner with Jiefu before we crashed for the evening. We got up around 7AM feeling refreshed and ready to go.

I took a couple of pictures of the scrolls Baba made and uploaded them to the Flicker account.

We are going to do some shopping. I need warmer clothes because it is much colder here than we expected. I packed a lot of short sleeve shirts and shorts because I saw it was 23C in Wuhan but it is only in the 50s (F) here in Shaoxing.

We are all going to go to the spa later today and I'll get a foot massage!

-posted by Dan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! You made it! I was like a kid waiting for Christmas for a word from you guys today! So happy you made it safely and now the "real" fun can begin! Have fun shopping and getting pedicures, sounds like a good way to spend you last childless day! Sleep in tomorrow, because those days will soon be OVER!
Peace - Julie

Anonymous said...

PS. The scroll's are absolutely beautiful!

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.